2007-10-26

Friedrich Engel on Crowd in the City (Critical Studies)


For my Critical Studies I have been given this piece of text 'Friedrich Engels (1820-1895) on the Crowd in the City' I thought I would mention it in my blog and tell you a little bit about it! I got the idea that the text and image is all about industrial cities like London, Birmingham, Leeds etc and the desperate and needed search for the ideal urban form. Cities such as Birmingham and Sheffield grew immensly and Leeds more than doubled it's population between 1801 and 1831. It's all about the ever expanding cities and the disappearing countryside and also more importantly the hundreds and thousands of all classes and ranks crowding past each other with seemingly nothing in common and their only agreement is to 'keep to his own side of the pavement'.

No comments: